Pen drives have many names – USB flash drives, jump drives, and thumb drives – and they are very commonly used to allow an easy portable storage option for computer users. Improper use of and technical issues within a pen drive can result in deleted files. However, there are two ways that you can easily restore your deleted pen drive files.
Using Command Prompt to Recover Files
One way that you can recover deleted files from a pen drive is to use the command prompt on your computer.
- Plug your pen drive into your computer, press Windows and “R” keys to launch the Run program.
- Type “cmd” and hit Enter to open the Command Prompt window.
- In the Command Prompt window, type “chkdsk H:/f” and hit Enter. (Replace the H with the drive that the pen drive is connected to.)
- Type “Y” and hit Enter.
- Type the letter of the pen drive again and hit Enter.
- Type “H:>attrib -h -r -s /s /d *.*” (replacing the H with the letter for the pen drive) and hit Enter.
- Wait for the process to complete.
Once you have completed these steps, any deleted files will be restored and placed in a newly created folder on your pen drive. You can then do with the files as you please.
See how to use Command Prompt to restore files here:
Using a Data Recovery Tool to Recover Files
Data recovery tools are programs that you can use to recover any lost files on your PC. Some of them are free, and there are paid, premium data recovery tools offered as well. One great data recovery program to use to recover deleted files in a pen drive is SysTools Pen Drive Recovery. When using data recovery tools to restore your files, you will follow the prompts and directions that it gives you during the recovery process.
Take Care of Your Pen Drives
One of the most common causes of corrupted and deleted files within a pen drive is user error. Always wait until all transferring and saving processes are complete before removing the pen drive from the computer. Additionally, make sure you take care to properly disconnect the pen drive before removing it.
Files at our Fingertips
Pen drives are small but mighty devices that offer us convenience and connectivity. All technology needs proper care, and the pen drive is no different. These tiny storage machines can last for years if treated properly. So, don’t take your pen drive for granted and remember to treat it kindly!